Monday, April 13, 2009

The Swing of Things


I ran 6.5 miles today. It wasn’t for a race or anything of that sort. It was just to do it. It’s funny how we stumble into pastimes. I certainly wasn’t planning to start running everyday, especially because I don’t really even like to run. And I certainly would not call myself a runner seeing that I haven’t even made it to a half month with this running thing. But, so far I really like it. It’s sort of addictive and I think it just might stick. We’ll see.

April in New York is a funny month. The weather is out of control (I wrote that and then I thought “ironic”)! Last week it snowed and then got up to 65 degrees. Strange. But, I honestly can’t complain because the sun is finally shining and I love the way it feels. Maybe that’s why I’m finding myself in the park so much.

The newest on the dance front is that I made it on to Stiletto Entertainment’s dancer “HIRE” list, which means I could very likely be dancing on a Holland America Cruise some time in the coming year! Sounds like an adventure. I like it!

Rafaella has become a new favorite spot of mine. It’s this tiny, quiet restaurant in Chelsea where I love to go for breakfast and just spend time with the Lord. I always sit at the same table in this big, cushy chair with a view of the cross streets. God has continually filled me up here and thus, it has become somewhat of a habit of mine.

Easter was a whole new experience for me this year. God is certainly changing and growing me with each passing day and because of that I found myself saying “Happy Resurrection Sunday,” and digging for the real meaning of a holiday I used to equate with bunnies, eggs, and lots of candy. I’ve begun to realize how pivot this time is in the Christian faith. The sacrifice made and victory Jesus won has overwhelmed me with love. I can’t explain it. I wish I could.

Life is good in every sense of the word.

4 comments:

  1. Shelby, I love reading your posts. I really admire what a strong faith you have. I am glad that you are having such a great experience in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sister! i am so proud of you! i wish you were here so we could run together! i love breakfast too...morning just might be my favorite time of day. what a wonderful way to start your days...in the presence of the Lord. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shelby this really sounds amazing. i can't believe you are running!!! good for you - it can get really addictive in a good way. aren't the endorphins amazing? don't let it go because trust me once you let it go it's hard to get back. i've been trying for a while now, but you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking today.... "You know, I really miss working in COBA." And then I though... "mainly because I miss my bosses and the people I got to see often coming through the office." And it ended with, "...people like Shelby, who I never knew so well, but always found easy to talk to and so welcoming..."

    I loved your post, and I'm jealous that you're in the habit of running. I'm trying to make it a habit but just hasn't caught on yet. I love hearing what God is showing you...it's very encouraging.

    And thank you again, for your response to my email a while back about my mom. I can't tell how much that meant. God is doing amazing things in our family through this process, and mom is doing well. I'm still in Abilene for a few more days and then I'm moving to Nashville. If you're ever there, gimme a hollar.

    Blessings to you!
    Ben DuBose

    ReplyDelete