Wednesday, January 28, 2009

With Only A Song In My Heart


The view from my room on a rainy day

To include as a list in my fifth grade year book, the editor (who also happened to be my mom) asked all the students what they wanted to be when they grew up, and I, of course, wrote "Broadway Dancer." So, after years of waiting, I finally made it to New York City!

The move has been exciting, nerve-racking, terrifying, joyful, and a lot of other emotions I can't seem to find a name for. Honestly, it was harder to leave Austin than I was expecting, but now that I'm here it feels like the right thing for me. I'm still not sure what to make of the constant buzz, salivating delis, gargantuan buildings, hidden parks, and the "on the go" people here. At this point I'm just trying to figure out how to make sure I'm headed the right way on the subway (which I have already botched up a number of times that I can't bring myself to admit).

One surprisingly amazing thing has been how welcoming so many people have been since I've gotten here! I can't tell you how many friends of friends have emailed me advice, leads, etc over the past week and a half. God truly is Jehovah Jireh, the great provider. I am continually amazed. I feel humbled at the way that so many have reached out to me and offered to cook me dinner, drink coffee with me, or take me to small group. I hope that one day I can return the favor to someone else who makes the transition into what can feel like a foreign country.


My bedroom

Since I arrived I've been working hard to get settled into my quaint apartment on 33rd between 8th and 9th. So far I love everything about it...the location (right next to Madison Square Garden and Penn Station), my friendly doormen (Sandy and Gus...love them), my sweet roommate Maddie (she's been so helpful), my little room (which is actually half of the living room that has been sectioned off by a pressurized wall), and my beautiful view (I can actually see the city and the Hudson river!). I am blessed.

At night


I've also been taking classes, voice lessons, and I have several auditions lined up for the coming month! As far as class goes I'm going to try and take all different styles and from all different teachers, at least until I figure out what is best for me. I found a voice teacher here who I really like. She makes me feel so comfortable and she knows her stuff, so I feel like I'm in good hands! And, I'm planning on auditioning for basically everything from productions of High School Musical to modern productions like "Artists for Peace." I have no idea what to expect, so I'm just going to have a good time, and at the very least I'm getting some quality free dance classes. :)


I know that this post has been extremely broad, but I just wanted to give an overview of life so far. If you are reading this, thank you for caring enough about me to want an update. Please pray that God give me direction and purpose with my time in this city. More than land a job I want to be a missionary for Christ, and I feel like I am in need of frequent reminders of that ultimate goal. And, also pray a prayer of praise if you have a second, because already I can see and feel God's presence.


"I will rejoice. I will declare God is my victory and He is near."
Desert Song by Hillsong (my favorite song...listen and be blessed)

8 comments:

  1. Shelby

    I am a proud Dad...so excited for you, but miss you a lot. I know you will change NYC and the world. A great first posting...can't wait to read the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't tell enough how excited I am for you. I already miss you as well, but that just means I'll have to plan a tirp to come see you sooner rather than later! I will be praying for you constantly. I love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelby - I am so proud of you for having the guts to just head on up to NYC and see what (and who) God might have available for you to experience there. Whatever
    God does with this time in your life - just be joyful darling girl. I love being a witness to your journey and I will always be excited to get your updates and hear your reflections. I send my blessings - you know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelby!
    I hope life is well...I found your blog through your facebook I loved reading it. I love New York and think it is amazing that you are there, you are in my thoughts and prayers...WSL Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sister! i love you! i miss you :( i am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am so excited that you have followed your dream to New York. I hope all the best for you! Keep your blog updated so we can know how things in NYC go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you, I love you, I love you!! Keep this blog up, I need it to live vicariously through you!! I'm with Carra, with how much I'm missing you- a trip is DEFINITELY in order!

    So proud of you, and praying for you often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelby - wow i finally am rereading the first post. Good for you, I am so incredibly proud of you skittles.

    ReplyDelete